Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Black Beauty Vs Daisy*

A quickie from me (mind out of the gutters thanks) about this story .

A Perth butcher has been given to sell horse meat in Australia - he has been exporting the meat for some time.

It might surprise people to learn that I have no problem with the eating of horse as long as it's ethically farmed and killed. In fact, I ate raw horse on my trip to Japan *awaits death threats*.

I want to chat about sentiment and our understanding of the intelligence and awareness down the track but it seems pretty hypocritical to me to be happy to eat a very smart and cute animal like the pig and then send death threats to the guy selling horse meat. If you don't want to eat it, hey that's cool, but death threats? Really?

I think our environment and economy can only benefit from examining some of these prejudices. Congrats to the WA Food and Agriculture Minister.

*That's a cow's name, pig's names are harder.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. I wouldn't want to eat a horse that was someone's beloved pet: but I wouldn't want to eat a pig that was someone's beloved pet either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great Kim. Now I'm hungry for basashi (raw horse). Look what your irresponsible blogging has wrought!

    ReplyDelete